Wednesday, February 02, 2005

DVD recommendations

Hey clubbers,

I've been laying low as of late trying to be healthy and work hard, something about February. I've been renting a lot of DVDs lately and wanted to both pass on and solicit recommendations of what to watch and what to avoid).

One of the funniest films I've seen lately is Shaun of the Dead. Part of the appeal is the oh so British humor, but some things are universal. Like if Zombies invaded my neighborhood, of course I'd go to the Canterbury. It really is hilarious. My parents recommend this one, and you know Ro and Steve just can't be wrong.

It's also that time when I'm catching up on some things from last year that I wanted to see in the theatre, but had no time. I finally saw Garden State - yes, yes, you were all correct on that one, wonderful movie, wonderful soundtrack.

I'm also laughing my way through The Chappelle Show Season I (thanks again Shawn).

I finally caught Bourne Supremacy which while not as good as the original, still is really entertaining, although a couple moments where I had to call for some crackers to soak up all that cheese, but a smarter action film than most. Not enough Franke for my taste, i guess I'll have to rewatch the original or an even better film.

One film that I did rent in the past couple weeks that I thought was total crap was Collateral. I just had heard a lot about it, including Jamie Foxx's performance. But will someone tell me who was Tom Cruise's inspiration for his character? A cyborg? Maybe an extra from I, Robot. Who knows. I thought it was total crap. It felt like a Miami Vice episode, but minus the Glen Frey.

So does anyone have any picks for good flicks? Let me know.

3 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

Add me to the Collateral hate list. Man did that stink.

No surprise, but I loved Hero. The larger the screen the better to enjoy just how beautiful it looks.

I highly recommend you check out We Don't Live Here Any More. The story can make you squirm at times, but it's just so well acted it's worth it.

Oh, the first season of Deadwood comes out next week. That's a must see when you have some time.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

Hahaha. That's an awesome string. I forgot your comments about it. I really liked Mark Ruffalo in this. Especially the scenes with the one girl. And Dern kicks butt too. But yes, the characters themselves are hard to like. So it's an odd experience, at least for me, of liking the actors, but not the people they play.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

Was I drunk when I wrote that comment for We Don't Live Here Anymore? Not only did I get the movie wrong, but I made some inappropriate references. I need a time-out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home